The Diary of a T-800 Arm


21/06/2003

I have finished spraying everything except the fingers.  The piece below has just been given it's final coat.  I've done the small finger pistons as well.
pics/term/arm15.jpg
pics/term/arm16.jpg


06/07/2003

I found a thread on a prop forum where someone else was making one of these.  After discussing the fingers and seeing how other people have done their hands I have now added the small pieces that the pistons connect to.  It was suggested that by using the bits of plastic left over from a model kit, the extra bits can easily be made.  It worked perfectly.
pics/term/arm17.jpg
pics/term/arm18.jpg

07/07/2003

Time to start spraying.  First with primer.
pics/term/arm19.jpg


19/07/2003

It's now been sprayed with the gloss black.
pics/term/arm20.jpg
And finally, the Alclad II.
pics/term/arm21.jpg
I now have what is starting to look like a Terminator hand.
pics/term/arm22.jpg
All the bits are now ready to be glued together.
pics/term/arm23.jpg
At this point I remembered that I was supposed to spin the piston rods so that the flat part lines up with the part it will be glued to.  You can see in this picture that it is aiming the wrong way.
pics/term/arm24.jpg
Even though I had already painted it, I thought I would cut through the rod, spin it round and glue it back on.  I positioned each of the pistons correctly and blu-tack'd the end where it should be.  Then I applied some glue to the ends and let them stick together in the correct position.
pics/term/arm25.jpg
The ends are all pointing the correct way now.  I have added some screw threads to the holes where the fingers connect to the main hand piece (compare with previous picture).  This makes it look a bit more realistic.
pics/term/arm26.jpg