The Diary of a T-800 Arm


06/01/2006

Look what I finally got :-)
pics/term/tube01.jpg

I found someone making these on a forum, and was lucky enough to get one before they ran out. Now I just have to make a base for it...


07/08/2006

After looking at various materials and objects that I could use for a base, I decided to make it out of wood. I had a look at some lathes, and wondered if I can make one out of an electric drill, but then I found someone (an ex-carpenter) who said he could make the base for me out of Pine :-)

I made these two drawings of the base:
pics/term/basedwg01.png
pics/term/basedwg02.png

There don't appear to be any good pictures of the base anywhere on the internet, on the DVDs, or in "Making of" books, so I had to make educated guesses for most of it.

I'm either going to spray it silver, or use metal sellotape to make it look metal.


14/10/2006

I've got the base! It's brilliant! :-)
pics/term/base01.jpgpics/term/base02.jpg
I need to drill a few holes round the top edge and in the centre (for the mounting rod), and I'll put a thin coat of polyfiller on it to cover the woodgrain and a few small holes and dents here and there.


15/10/2006

Drilled the holes round the top and in the centre. To get them right, I just put my 1:1 scale drawing on top of it, then stuck a nail in the centre hole to hold it in place and prodded another nail through the middle of each outer edge hole on my drawing and into the wood to mark it.

I cut some chromed bar I found to a length of 12cm long (I'd already made sure the centre top hole matched the size of the bar), then drilled the hole in the bottom of the elbow. The holes of both the elbow and top centre were 3cm deep to give it enough stability.

The parts were put in place (the main arm was balanced on top of the elbow):
pics/term/built01.jpg


19/10/2006

I decided to make the "dangly bit". This is a part that's seen (only just) in the film, attached to the arm. It's where a metal rod that would act as a muscle, pulls or pushes to make the elbow bend. In the reality of the film, it has snapped (or been cut off when it was removed from the press where the squashed T-800 was found), so only a small part of the rod is attached.
I looked around for a block of metal I could use, but coundn't find anything. In the end I used the metal screw below. It had a hole at the top, but in-between there was just enough metal to make the piece I needed.
I simply hack-sawed it out, and used a grinder and file to make it smooth. A hole was drilled right through the sides (to the thickness of a bar I'd made that was cut from a thick nail) and another hole in the bottom. I added a thread to the bottom hole and screwed in a piece of a bolt I'd cut to size.
pics/term/rod01.jpg
Then I found a piece of tube (a solid bar would have been better, but I could only find a tube that was thick enough), and added a thread to one end.
pics/term/rod02.jpg
I hammered a tight fitting piece of bar into the hole in the other end of the tube, cut it off, then filed it flat. It now looks like a solid bar.
pics/term/rod03.jpg
pics/term/rod04.jpg


26/10/2006

Since last time I've been doing lots of spraying. First I did my best at filling in all the tiny holes from the woodgrain etc., then I sprayed and sanded it down several times.
pics/term/base03.jpg
Then it was time for the silver spray. I used aluminium spray from a hardware store.
pics/term/base04.jpg
I drilled some small holes into the bottom of the 6 holes round the rim of the base, then screwed some screws into them. This added to the effect of the base being made of metal, and being screwed together. I'm sure that's what the holes were there for on the real base.
pics/term/base05.jpg

I needed to get the main arm attached to the elbow joint, so I drilled a hole into the top of the elbow piece so it lined up with an unused hole in the arm piece. Then I glued the two pieces together and screwed them down using the spare hole.
I put it all together, and here is the finished item:
pics/term/built02.jpg