The Diary of a Motion Tracker


11/08/2004 Continued

I drilled two holes into tho top of the drill and screwed the minilight onto it. One was screwed from the top down, and the other was screwed up from underneath, into the original hole that held the light together. This way I didn't have to have a screw visible on top of the minilight.
pics/mt/joboml4.jpg
Two more holes were drilled into the right side of the drill and the remote release was screwed on. I would rather not glue the remote release together, but I can't think of a way to stop it falling apart when you touch it. I'll leave that problem for later.

Brown Bess is a strange colour. The resin cast of the top of the drill came painted that colour (as used in the film), but it often looks green (that's why a lot of people paint their Pulse Rifles and Motion Trackers Olive Drab - me included). The third picture below is how it really looks.
pics/mt/remrel3.jpg
pics/mt/kangotop01.jpgpics/mt/kangotop02.jpg
pics/mt/kangotop03.jpg


12/08/2004

The transformer cover was cut to a thickness of 2cm and temporarily stuck in place.
pics/mt/trans02.jpgpics/mt/trans03.jpg

Four holes were drilled into a two inch washer and it was attached to the top part of the drill. A piece of metal mesh was also added.
pics/mt/kangotop04.jpg


05/09/2004

I got some light gathering rods for the LEDs. These were cut to length and inserted into the holes to channel the ligt from the bulb or through the view screen to the LEDs.
pics/mt/slide11.jpgpics/mt/slide12.jpg

The green rod looks too yellow when artificial light shines through it, so I will probably cut the green one short and put the original green plastic lens in the hole as mentioned before.


27/11/2004

My drill didn't come with the side panels that go near the bottom, so I cut them both out of an old plastic lid.
pics/mt/sidepanels1.jpgpics/mt/sidepanels2.jpg
pics/mt/kango04.jpg


07/12/2004

I wanted a small rotary switch knob on the bottom but the actual rotary switch was quite big. To get round the problem I made a bizarre contraption made up of cutting the main switch rod shorter; splitting it; inserting a piece of flattened metal rod; putting a nut round the split part to hold the rod in tightly, and screwing the whole thing to a shortened plastic 35mm camera film holder.
I then needed a way of holding the side panels in place, so I made a paper template of what I needed before I cut it from metal and added it to the other parts.
pics/mt/sidepanels3.jpgpics/mt/sidepanels4.jpg
pics/mt/sidepanels5.jpgpics/mt/kango9.jpg

I drilled a hole in the side for the phono socket and cut and filed the inside so it would fit.
pics/mt/kango5.jpgpics/mt/kango6.jpg

A metal plate was made to support the socket and make it stronger.
pics/mt/kango7.jpg

The socket is now installed.
pics/mt/kango10.jpgpics/mt/kango11.jpg